Revealed: A few secrets about Hyperpublic

Posted on July 18, 2011. Filed under: Uncategorized |

I’m always amazed when people who I meet for the first time come up to me and say “I really love Hyperpublic, it’s awesome.”  I think to myself, “gee, that’s weird. Unless this person is a developer, I can’t imagine what they love about us.”  I ask for a layer of detail and they pretend to appreciate the display application that we’ve pushed at  I say “thanks very much, but there really isn’t a lot to do there, Hyperpublic,com is just meant to show engineers and developers what types of data we’re working with and making available through the HP API.”  They sort of smile awkwardly, and that’s pretty much that.

In light of those types of interactions, I thought I’d uncover a little detail about what we’ve been up to at HP.  Really, I’d prefer to stay under the radar, given the massive companies triangulating around our space, but recruiting an A+ team has become our number one priority and I want the top engineers in NYC and beyond to understand what we’re focused on and how interesting it is to be a part of the effort under way at HP. represents about 2% of our attention and bandwidth at HP, with the other 98% focused on the crawling, ingestion, normalization, organization, dissemination and surfacing of geocoded data.  We see a world where consumers are starting to believe that they can navigate the physical world with the same ease and insight that they navigate the web.  In order for that belief to become a reality, someone needs to build and organize an underlying geodata set that is incrementally specific to what is available within the tools consumers are most commonly using to effect local discovery on mobile devices today.  At HP, we are building the infrastructure that will allow hundreds of thousands of location based and location aware applications to satisfy their users’ demands for more acute and deliberate movement through physical space.  We are not a recommendation engine, we are not a reviews product, we are not a social network, we are a data platform.  There is a killer application for the dataset we are working with, we have a pretty good sense of what it is, and if you like building Google scale consumer utilities, we are hiring PM/Mobile Dev/Back End Devs for our Apps team, but to date, our IP and accomplishments are squarely in the realm of “big data.”

The good news is, we’ve captured and organized hundreds of millions of local objects and metadata points and our asset is scaling very fast.  The bad (and good if you are a masochist) news is there is effectively an infinite amount of data that exists in the physical world (hard to index infinity).  If you are excited about working with large data sets, mashing up disparate data sources linked by a common lat/lon in order to deduce interesting signal and product, or generally excited about working with a team of deeply thoughtful engineers in New York City, we’d love to share some more secrets with you.  Email:  I don’t care if you are looking for a job, or happy at your job, or whatever.  Emailing me does not = applying for a job, it just means you want to understand WTF I’m talking about.  For the right people, our effort will consume you.  Oh, and we pay absurdly well, full healthcare, real equity, flexible schedule, wonderful people, yada yada yada.

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

2 Responses to “Revealed: A few secrets about Hyperpublic”

RSS Feed for Jordan Cooper's Blog: startups, venture capital, etc… Comments RSS Feed

Ahh, I couldn’t figure out what you guys were up to from the website. At least this tells me that it’s not about the website. May send a guy interested in big data your way. He is more of a business/finance guy, but loves crunching large data sets.

Phil M = the man. thanks pal

Where's The Comment Form?


    I’m a NYC based investor and entrepreneur. I've started a few companies and a venture capital firm. You can email me at (p.s. i don’t use spell check…deal with it)


    Subscribe Via RSS

    • Subscribe with Bloglines
    • Add your feed to Newsburst from CNET
    • Subscribe in Google Reader
    • Add to My Yahoo!
    • Subscribe in NewsGator Online
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS


Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: